This policy sets out how we use your personal information and explains:
- what kind of information we collect and how it is collected;
- how we use the information you provide;
- how we disclose the information you provide;
- how we treat sensitive information;
- the management and security of your information;
- how you can update your personal information;
- how you can seek access to the information we hold about you; and
- how to contact us.
What information we collect and how we collect it
We collect personal information from a variety of sources, including from you, members of the public, advertisers, prospective employees, mailing lists, recruitment agencies, contractors and business partners.
In general, the personal information we collect includes (but is not limited to) name, email address, other contact details and possibly financial information, including credit card information.
We store the personal information you enter on NearbyNerd or give to NearbyNerd in other ways. We obtain most personal information through the NearbyNerd membership registration process and updates to membership details. You may also provide information to us when you request or acquire a product or service from us or our related companies, provide a product or service to us, complete a survey or questionnaire, enter a competition, participate in forums or when you communicate with us by e-mail, telephone or in writing (for example if you contact customer service to make a complaint or provide feedback).
We obtain personal information that you provide as part of your NearbyNerd Nerd profile, such as age, gender, specialties, and location.
We also obtain personal information that you otherwise post or transmit on NearbyNerd, and personal information provided to us via NearbyNerd or otherwise by any other person.
We may use a feature of your browser called a cookie to assign your computer a 'User ID'. Cookies contain information by which we can identify your computer to our servers. You may configure your browser so that you are notified before a cookie is downloaded or so that your browser does not accept cookies. We may use information contained in cookies to make assumptions about the user of the computer and to provide users of that computer with focused advertising that we believe may be of interest, based on that information. In some cases a web page might contain more than one cookie, the information gathered from these different cookies are used to build statistical and demographical information which does not identify you personally to advertisers and other third parties for marketing, promotional purposes.
To disable your cookies, please refer to the help menu within your Internet browser.
We endeavour to collect personal information about an individual only from that individual. In some circumstances we may obtain personal information from a third party. If you provide personal information about another person to us, we require that you inform that person you have done so and provide them with a copy of this policy.
How we use the information we collect
We may use information we collect from you for the primary purpose for which it is collected and for such other secondary purposes that are related to the primary purpose of collection. We generally use personal information to:
- provide you with products or services you have requested (including to post your nerd profile on NearbyNerd and transmit your messages to other members);
- personalise and customise your experiences on NearbyNerd;
- help us manage and enhance NearbyNerd;
- communicate with you (including transmitting messages from other members);
- provide you with ongoing information about opportunities relating to NearbyNerd that we believe you may be interested in;
- give you the opportunity from time to time to receive e-mail and 'e-newsletters' from us;
- investigate any complaints about or made by you; and/or
- investigate you or your NearbyNerd account if we have reason to suspect that you are or have been using NearbyNerd in breach of the terms and conditions of use of NearbyNerd or if we have reason to suspect that you are or have been otherwise engaged in any unlawful activity.
In most cases where we ask you to provide information about yourself, if you do not provide us with that information, we will not be able to provide you with the requested product or service.
You agree that personal information that you provide and/or we obtain as part of your NearbyNerd nerd profile, or that you otherwise post or transmit on any public area of NearbyNerd, is non-confidential. You agree that we will be entitled to use such personal information for any purpose.
How we disclose the information we collect
NearbyNerd may provide your information to third parties:
- engaged by NearbyNerd to perform functions on its behalf, such as processing credit card information, mailouts, debt collection, marketing, research and advertising;
- authorized by you to receive information held by us (including other members);
- as required or authorized by or under any law;
- as a necessary part of any investigation by us into you or your NearbyNerd account (including to your Internet Service Provider or network administrator); and/or
- if we have reason to suspect that you are or have been using NearbyNerd in breach of the terms and conditions of use of NearbyNerd or if we have reason to suspect that you are or have been otherwise engaged in any unlawful activity and we reasonably believe that disclosure is necessary, for example, for the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of any unlawful activity (including to the Police or any other enforcement body, or your Internet Service Provider or network administrator).
You agree that personal information that you provide and/or we obtain as part of your NearbyNerd nerd profile, or that you otherwise post or transmit on any public area of NearbyNerd, is non-confidential. You agree that we may disclose such personal information to any third party for any purpose.
You agree that we will be entitled to track your activity on NearbyNerd, including by making a record of the nerd profiles that you view, and display such usage information to other members (provided that, in that case, we only ever disclose personal information that you provide and/or we obtain as part of your NearbyNerd nerd profile, or that you otherwise post or transmit on any public area of NearbyNerd).
How we treat sensitive information
"Sensitive Information" means information relating to a person's racial or ethnic origin, membership of political bodies, religion, membership of a trade union or professional or trade association, sexual preferences, criminal record and health.
We may use and disclose Sensitive Information only for the purpose for which it was provided or a directly related secondary purpose or as allowed by law unless you have agreed otherwise.
Management and security of your information
We protect the personal information we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure by various means including firewalls, pass word access, secure servers and encryption of credit card transactions.
Updating your information
We endeavor to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Members of NearbyNerd can update their membership information via the website (through the My Profile page). Where personal information is no longer required by us, it will be destroyed or de-identified.
Seeking access to your information
Subject to certain exceptions set out in the Privacy Act, you have the right to seek access to the personal information we hold about you, and advise us of any inaccuracy, at any time.
Members of NearbyNerd can access their membership information via the website (through the My Profile page) at any time. If you would like to seek access to personal information we hold about you, please contact us in any of the following ways:
- (61) 7 5448 5094
If you make an access request, we will ask you to verify your identity and specify what information you require. We may charge a fee to cover the costs of meeting your request.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or complaints about how we collect, use, disclose, manager or store your personal information, please contact us in any of the following ways:
- (61) 7 5448 5094
PO Box 357